IDC report on the AR/VR headset market in 2021 – more than three quarters of the market in the hands of Meta


IDC report on the AR/VR headset market in 2021 – more than three quarters of the market in the hands of Meta

IDC report on the AR/VR headset market in 2021 – more than three quarters of the market in the hands of Meta

News unit EMGblog.com: IDC Research Institute on Monday, March 21, 2022 ( April 1, 1401) his report on the state of the virtual reality and augmented reality headsets market in 2021 Published. New data from IDC’s Quarterly Survey of the Global AR/VR Headset Market shows that last year, 11.2 million virtual reality and augmented reality headsets entered the global market, which has grown by 92.1% compared to the supply of these products in 2020. Is. In the meantime, the last quarter of 2021 played an important role in the prosperity of this market, because almost half of all these headsets were released in the fourth quarter.

More than 92% year-on-year growth in AR/VR headset shipments makes for a great year for this market; An event that had not happened since 2016. It should be noted that in 2016, virtual reality headsets without a screen and cheap – such as Samsung Gear VR – had a hot market and we saw the wide release of this type of product that year. Next, we have a look at the best-selling headsets in the market in 2021.

Global AR/VR Headset Shipment Forecast from 2021 to 2026

Undoubtedly, VR headset Oculus Quest 2 (Product meta) has been the most popular product of the AR/VR market in 2021. According to IDC, the Quest 2 headset captured 78% of the market last year. In simpler terms, it can be said that out of every 10 headsets released in the market, almost 8 were Quest 2. The remaining 22% share of the AR/VR market is divided between several different companies.

Oculus Quest 2

After Meta, DPVR takes the second place with 5.1% of the market share. Most of the clients of this Chinese company are related to the commercial sector, and most of its success has been achieved in the markets of the Asian region. Next, we have another Chinese company called Pico (from ByteDance’s sub-groups), which is in third place with a small difference compared to DPVR, with 4.5% of the global market. Pico also has a good position in the Asian markets, and in addition, it has customers in North America and Western Europe. According to IDC experts, Pico headsets partially fill the void created by the discontinuation of Oculus Go production. The fourth and fifth places are awarded to HTC and iQIYI, respectively.

According to Jitesh Ubrani, director of research at IDC, Meta already has the pulse of the AR/VR industry. Reasonable price and covering a wider range of customers (beyond gamers) are among the success factors of Meta in this field. At the moment, it can be said that Meta is almost unrivaled in this market, but according to Oberani, the situation will not remain the same and in the next 12 or 18 months, new competitors will appear for Meta. For example, Sony with the PSVR2 will be back on the scene again. It is also expected that the likes of Apple and other smartphone vendors will also produce AR/VR headsets.

Sony PlayStation VR2

Besides these statistics, IDC also published its forecast of the state of the AR/VR market. According to the forecast of IDC experts, the supply of virtual reality and augmented reality headsets in 2022 will be accompanied by an annual growth of 46.9%. IDC estimates the AR/VR headset market to maintain double-digit growth until the end of 2026. Forecasts indicate that the supply volume of virtual reality and augmented reality headsets will exceed 50 million devices in 2026, and in this way, the compound annual growth rate during this time period is reported to be 35.1%. IDC experts consider new entrants in this industry to be the main factor driving the AR/R market along with more people’s acceptance of these products.

According to Tom Mainelli, one of the vice presidents of IDC, augmented reality headsets constitute only a small part of the total AR/VR market, and almost the majority of customers of these devices are related to the business sector, because reality is still Consumer usage is largely confined to the realm of smartphones and tablets, and will remain so for the short term. Currently, the metaverse phenomenon (which deals with virtual and augmented reality) has brought a lot of publicity and noise and has attracted funds. But this phenomenon (at least in the near future) is unlikely to have a significant impact on the supply of AR/VR headsets.

Previous Introducing Realme Narzo 50A Prime with a 6.6-inch screen and a 50-megapixel camera
Next Introducing Oppo A16e - a low-end phone with HD+ display and Helio P22 processor

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.